Pages

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Afternoon in Paradise

by Susan Cameron

Wow. What kind of mood was I in when I wrote this one?


AFTERNOON IN PARADISE

I've been lying
under the Southern California sky,
which is flatter than Kansas
and bleached as white as desert bones.

I shut my eyes against the glare.

No breeze disturbs the overheated stillness--
earthquake weather,
though people deny there is such a thing.

I lift the gin-and-tonic to my lips
and swallow hard.

I float alone in the silent pool.

There's a faint dry rattle overhead --
a spiky clatter and scratch.

My eyes are closed, but I can tell
we have rats
in the palm trees
again.

Susan Cameron, copyright 1999

3 comments:

  1. So, did Haasgard wage war on those rats? Or did she have another gin-and-tonic and let them play in the palms?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rats were imaginary, but the gin-and-tonic was real. And so was the next one... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't have rats in paradise do we? Oh rats, I forgot about my gin and tonic again... Good one!!!

    Handy Bob

    ReplyDelete