Pages

Monday, November 29, 2010

What Else Don’t I Know?

I had a conversation today with an old friend of my mother’s. I am not sure where Annie is from, but her accent is thick – possibly Germanic. Though she’s been in this country for most of her life, I often have difficulty understanding her, but today, when we were speaking, I understood every word.

My mother passed away on October 6th, and Annie misses my mother and thinks about her all the time. She left a teary message on my mother’s phone a few weeks ago that I had a hard time understanding. To me, this is utterly perplexing. These women hardly spoke over the last few years, but Annie is so genuinely moved by my mother’s passing that I hate to even imagine what the reciprocal would have been if Annie had died first. The woman I know would not have cared very much. Or at least I don’t think she would have. But maybe I don’t know her like I think I do.

I spoke with another of her friends who is also a cousin by marriage. Bernice misses my mother terribly as well, and I’m glad she can’t see me shaking my head. My mother used to yell at Bernice, at least during the last year or so. Bernice called all the time, and would send my mother lots of cards, especially when she found out that my mom was ill again. The cards were fun, and heartfelt, and nice.

When my mother got the cards she would say nasty things and belittle the gesture. Her frequent calls were not welcome, and Mom sometimes yelled at her on the phone and told her to stop sending the cards.

Bernice called my sister and told her what had transpired, and that there was already a card in the mail that could not be retrieved. My sister called me, and I confiscated it when it arrived so that my mother wouldn’t see it and get angry. Now I wonder if the receiving of the cards was to my mother a harbinger of bad tidings. One more indication that she was sick, that life was no longer good, that life just might be coming to an end.

Mom sent cards, lots of them, to lots of people. She sent many cards to Bernice’s daughter who was going through really hard times physically and emotionally. She was willing to be kind to others, but didn’t want that same kindness returned, at least not from Bernice. She did want that from her daughters and would freak out if we didn’t call daily, or even if we called at ‘the wrong time.’

I made a final call to a friend of my mother’s. As Mom is no longer around, I seem to want to call her friends – this call was to Joyce who lives in New Jersey. She and Mom had been good friends since their young motherhood days. Joyce is also still having a hard time with the fact that my mother is gone.

Both of my sisters are also having a hard time, but I guess that makes more sense, unless my mother’s passing portends to her aged friends their own mortality. When one’s peers start dying, perhaps the inner child begins screaming, “Shit, does this mean I’m next??!?”

It seems that I am the only one who is not completely broken up by my mother’s passing. I must assume I did not know this woman at all.

Paulette, our banker told me that almost every time my father sat at her desk he told her: “Marrying Sherry was the best thing I ever did.”

Who was this woman and why wasn’t I allowed to know her the way all these other people did?

I knew her angry critical self quite well, but today, when I was speaking to Annie I heard a story that actually made me cry.

When Ronald Regan signed the bill closing Agnews State Hospital, many people with various mental and emotional illnesses were released from their incarceration. My mother went down to Agnews to see what was happening. She saw many people, now displaced, setting up housekeeping under the Dumbarton Bridge near the hospital. My mother called Annie, who was a caterer, and said that they needed to make food and bring it to these people. She and Annie made sandwiches and other easy-to-eat foods and took it to the camp. I am curious about this incident. I am curious to know if she did anything more to help, not that feeding them this one time wasn’t enough. I am now in complete and unreserved cognitive dissonance about my mother. I wish I could talk to her about this and ask what other ‘crazy and kind’ things she did. This is not the woman I know.

Annie also talked about their larger group of friends and described these bridge playing mavens as highly opinionated. Apparently, another of their group who never would have gone out of her way because she thought it had nothing to do with her, declared my mother and Annie crazy.

I knew that my mother had done a lot of volunteer work in her life, but this spontaneous desire to help threw me off kilter. This is not the woman I know, but it is definitely part, and a large part, of the person that others seem to remember. Perhaps my memories will need to be reshaped by the stories of others. Perhaps that is much healthier than remembering an angry, bitter, woman with whom I thought I had very little in common.

6 comments:

  1. A lovely reminder that sometimes people are like artichokes, they can hard and prickly on the outside but on the inside there is some really good juicy stuff that is worth every bit of the work when you get there.

    Great Opportunity for Learning...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a thought-provoking post this was! We know people within a certain context, a certain set of parameters -- especially our parents, where the boundaries are set in place so early, and we see them through the "mom" or "dad" lens. And they often project what they WANT us to see through "mom" or "dad" filters of their own. But who are they, really?

    Sadly, for reasons of her own, your mom didn't shelter you from the worst of herself, and seems to have saved the best of herself for other people. If others have better memories of her, good for them and good for her. Your memories are just that -- YOUR memories. They can't be reshaped.

    And consider the possibility that you actually DO know your mother as well or better than Bernice, Annie or any of her friends. How much of what they think they know is true? How much is based on an image your mother worked at projecting?

    Too deep for me. And too long a response -- sorry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do we ever really see our parents completely? The bonds that tie us are so fraught with expectations, obligations, emotional complexity, mixed communications, joys and sorrows, disappointments and triumphs, and just basic misunderstandings as well as misinformation that I think it is often very difficult to really “know” who our parents are. And we live in such close intimacy with them for so many years that we experience them in ways that most others simply do not.

    It is also true that people change and sometimes their better selves get buried and overwhelmed by their life experiences, their own disappointments, their own secret dreams, their own unfulfilled lives and most usually it is family members that are the undeserved recipients of these personal frustrations and lost dreams.

    Also, sometimes we just don’t know the “facts” of our parents’ lives although we think we do. I was 13 years old before I discovered that my mother had a living brother that we knew nothing about who had been institutionalized as a college student. We never really knew what caused the institutionalization and I’m not sure my mother or her family even understood it. It sounds to me now like schizophrenia, but they had all sorts of explanations, the most accepted being that his brain had been injured in a college boxing tournament. It was a source of great sorrow as well as great shame for my mother and her family and that is why she hid it from the rest of us for so long. And it would have remained hidden except that one of our relatives did a family genealogy. I read the genealogy and it listed this brother as among my mother’s siblings. I had never heard of him. I told her they had made a mistake and given her a brother she didn’t have. Confronted with my discovery, she admitted that she did have a brother who was alive and living in an institution in Louisiana.

    It makes one wonder how many fathers and mothers have hidden information they considered damaging or embarrassing from their children…information that could possibly explain or shed light on their own emotional health and psychology and that we will never have the chance to know.

    Your mother was probably all of these different people as her friends will always see her differently than you do. Their experience of her does not invalidate your experience of her, which was much different than theirs and just as true for you as their experience is for them.

    Probably best to relax in the knowledge that your mother was a complex person who loved you as best she could while struggling with personal demons that she may not have fully understood herself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all for your comments. It helps to know that others really do "understand." In situations that are highly charged emotionally, it is nice to have level-headed, intelligent, loving, neutral and yet involved friends. I learned from you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way, today, December 7th, would have been Mom's 84th birthday. Happy Birthday Mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, another thing to think about. Your mother gave you the best of herself Nancy whether you know it or not because you are a treasure with your imagination, compassion, enthusiasm, loyalty,sincerity, honesty, and vivacious personality. I can't help but believe that she had an important role in forming who you are and she deserves some credit for creating and developing you.

    ReplyDelete