Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

Storytelling



I’m telling a story today.
Like all stories, it needs
a beginning,  a middle, and an end.

So, the beginning:

I pick up my pen, open my notebook,
place the pen on the page.
I wait for words to appear,
to crawl out from the tip of the pen,
cover the paper
like ants on a picnic blanket.
My pen is sluggish,
says she craves caffeine.

At Starbuck’s,
my pen and I run into a friend.
Oh, so good to see you,
but I can’t stop now.
I have to go.
I’m writing a story today and
my pen needs a cup of coffee.
So much depends
on this cup of coffee,
even more than depends
on a red wheelbarrow,
glazed with rain,
as someone once said.
So, I must go I say
two hours later.

The Middle:

My pen is alert now.
A double shot espresso macchiato
wakes one with a jolt
to the juices like a lightning bolt.
So, my pen poises
like a diver on board’s end,
bounces, plunges onto the paper
with a splash of letters
that scramble up and over each other
searching for a word, a thought, an image:
“Purple graham crackers floating in the air.”
Oh, glory, we're off and writing.

But wait! My pen complains that she’s hungry,
weak with the need for nourishment,
her inner resources famished, fatigued,
her literary allusions lost in illusion.
She says she’s faint, suffering delusions.
She needs lunch, just a little bite of something,
perhaps a graham cracker, preferably purple.

The End:

My pen needs a post-lunch nap.
A dream or two will do, she says.
An hour later,
she awakes refreshed and ready.
She taps out a few words,
then with a sigh, exhausted,
she says it’s cocktail hour.
She needs a glass of wine,
some soft music.

We can’t quit now, I wail.
What about those purple graham crackers?
What kind of story is this?
Perhaps, we should change direction,
take a road less travelled on.
It might make all the difference.
It’s worked for others.

Give me a break, she says.
Don’t worry, we’ll write
“…tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow.”

Okay, I sigh,
but I think someone already told that story.

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE this piece. I am always delighted by your allusions and your literary acumen!

    You are FUN to read, and it's always got an edge and playfulness, and I would like it if you would write and post more! Keep that pen poised, you never know what will come out next, but really, purple graham crackers don't sound very appetizing, but a purple Cube is still on the horizons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Susan, that WAS fun to read! (I have a lot of pens that behave that way, and a laptop that's worse). Your writing is exactly like you: interesting, funny, knowledgeable and thoughtful. Love reading your stuff, lady. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was really a kick. And oh, so true. I think I have the very same pen! What are the chances of that? Probably pretty good when it comes to writers and their pens. As usual Susan, your poetry is a delight. More, please.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One more thing - I'm now off to Starbucks to get my pen some stimulation. Hah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liz, did your pen enjoy the Starbucks session?

    ReplyDelete