Pages

Monday, December 14, 2009

Mrs. Schlobaum's Cookies

It started with Gary asking me to make Springerles, the German anise cookies his childhood neighbor, Mrs. Schlobaum, used to make. Three Christmases later, I am still in Springerle Hell.

Year One

Two days before Christmas I realize the cookies must mellow in an airtight container for two weeks. I abandon the project.

Year Two

I start earlier. My recipe requires a Springerle rolling pin engraved with pictures. I can’t find one anywhere. I find a new recipe that only calls for spooning the dough onto a cookie sheet.

Beating eggs and sugar for twenty minutes as instructed, I wonder if Mrs. Schlobaum had an electric mixer. I imagine a sturdy woman in a dirndl with a braid circling her head and Popeye muscles from beating Springerle dough. At nineteen minutes my mixer grinds to a halt. Overheated. Kaput.

What now, Mrs. Schlobaum? I still have to mix in the other ingredients. She tells me to do it the old fashioned way. I wonder if I need to wear a dirndl for that.

Baking Springerles is a two-day project. After letting the unbaked cookies dry at room temperature overnight, I bake them and store them in Tupperware until Christmas Eve.

“They’re really good,” Gary says.

“Like Mrs. Schlobaum’s?” I ask.

“Yes, except hers were rectangular and had pictures on them.”

Hmmmm.

Year Three

To help me channel Mrs. Schlobaum, I ask Gary to tell me more about her. Here’s what he remembers: She had white hair and a thin face. She wore flowered housedresses and aprons. She had a real elephant foot ashtray. Her grandson mowed her lawn until he cut off his finger in the mower. This is not helpful. I prefer my Mrs. Schlobaum.

I am determined to roll out the dough and put pictures on top. I still don’t have a Springerle rolling pin, but I have a cookie mold with Christmasy designs, a nonstick baking mat and nonstick rolling pin. I feel hopeful.

I prepare the dough and chill it several hours. I flour everything in sight to prevent sticking, but the gloppy stuff sticks to every nonstick surface anyway. I start over several times until finally the dough is rolled out. I push the cookie mold into the dough and lift it off.

Happy little snowmen and Santas smile up at me. Mrs. Schlobaum and I smile back. I start to cut them into rectangles, but I can’t cut around one without cutting into another or smushing them all up. I try to pick them up, but blobs of Santa and snowman bodies stick to the mat, leaving holes in their once plump middles.

“No! No!” they scream.

I realize I am the one screaming when Gary rushes into the kitchen. Springerle dough hangs from my fingers, my cheek, my hair.

“I will never make these damned cookies again,” I growl.

Gary nods solemnly and wisely backs away.

I end up making plain old rectangles - no pictures. I don’t care anymore. I’m done with Springerle.

But Mrs. Schlobaum won’t leave me alone. I am, after all, descended from a long line of stubborn Germans who hate to admit defeat. I Google Springerle rolling pins and contemplate ordering one.


Copyright 2009 by Liz Zuercher

5 comments:

  1. Please don't order the Springerle rolling pin! I'm picturing one of those old angry housewife cartoons; you advancing on Gary with the rolling pin raised above your head -- "You want Springerle? I got yer Springerle right here, pal!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Mrs. Schlobaum "looks" just like Lisa's high school German teacher, Frau Lindeman. When she sat on the desk swinging her sturdy legs back and forth during parent conferences, Dave could only think about whether the desk would hold up until we were finished! I'm not sure, but I don't think she was wearing dirndl. I'm sure, though. that she can make springerle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice holiday laugh. Thanks. I could see the screaming snowmen, and the screaming Liz and smell the overheated and exhausted mixer. I just thank God I'm not at all interested in learning to make these - your almond roca is another story!

    I wonder if in about 50 years when you join Mrs. Scholbaum in heaven, or temporarily in Springerle Hell, if she'll share her secret for the perfect Springerle cookie, then, when you come back, you'll somehow magically understand the nuances of making a Springerle. Someone will undoubtedly ask you how you learned, and you'll say, "I don't know. I guess I was just born knowing how." And that will be true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This got so many laughs at DimeStories. It's important to note that Liz is an expert pastry/sweet maker...her Almond Roca tops all...yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a perfect Christmas story and so much fun. I can just see Peep in the kitchen covered with flour and dough, but I'll bet you she never gives up and I'll bet Mrs. Schlobaum will have a Springerle rival by next Xmas.

    ReplyDelete