Pages

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Belated Happy Mother's Day!

by Susan Cameron

I spent almost two blissful weeks away from newspapers, TV news, and even -- gasp! -- the internet, so this Mother's Day offering (inspired by Heather, a fellow writing student) is a tad belated. Nevertheless...

TRUE LOVE

My breasts were once firm mountain peaks
but now they're two balloons with leaks.
My thighs were strong and hard as rock
but now they jiggle as I walk.
My stomach flat, once wafer-thin,
has rolls of fat where none had been.
My stretch-marked skin, once smooth and silky,
maps the way to Albuquerque.

'Til I had you, I used to preen
before my mirror. A beauty queen --
Superficial, shallow, vain.
My body's loss was my soul's gain.
In giving life, mine got its start.
I lost my shape and found my heart.
Back then I didn't have a clue.
I know what love is, thanks to you.

Susan Cameron, copyright 1999 or so :-)

4 comments:

  1. I love that poem. Never heard it before, but so true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this!!! I'm going to share it with everyone I know!!!

    P.S. Think about sending this to Parenting magazine or Reader's Digest

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susie, you are a terrific poet. You've kept this talent hidden from us all this time--more, more, more.

    ReplyDelete